A WorkOne Success Story: Armelia Johnson
THE CHALLENGE Armelia Johnson lost her job and immediately went to WorkOne for help. She had experience in finances in the healthcare industry, but was interested in changing her career path. As she worked one-on-one with a career advis ...   Read More »
Armelia Johnson lost her job and immediately went to WorkOne for help. She had experience in finances in the healthcare industry, but was interested in changing her career path. As she worked one-on-one with a career advisor, she was introduced to the Reimagine Retail Training Program. Johnson found out that retail training would close her skills gap to help her move towards a new career path.
Johnson successfully finished the Customer Service & Sales training course where she received nationally recognized certification. This gave her an additional boost on her resume and closed her skills gap. In addition to training she
regularly attended job clubs to help her job search, post her resume to job sites, and network with others who were going through the same process she was.
Johnson struggled at finding employment at first, but she never gave up. She came across a listing on the Merrillville School Corporation website for Bus Attendant and applied right away. She was called in for an interview the very next day. Johnson was offered the position where she accepted and she loves her job now. She expressed her gratitude for her WorkOne experience, “WorkOne has the tools and resources you need whether you are unemployed, or just need to get a job. WorkOne is there to help you transition and get you a job.”
This WIOA Title 1-funded program/activity is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. The TDD/TTY number is 1-800-743-3333.
Retail training was made possible with funding from Chicago Cook County Partnership through a generous grant from the Walmart Foundation grant.
- NWIndiana Life: Jeremy Bout of Edge Factor Visits the Region to Talk Manufacturing and Education
- NWI Times: Northern Indiana Bank On Alliance, WorkOne to offer free financial classes
- NWIndiana Life: New Podcast Launched by NW Indiana Workforce Board and Center of Workforce Innovations
- NWIndiana Life: Center of Workforce Innovations and READY NWI Host 7th Annual Summer Institute for Educators
- NWIndiana Life: Adult Education Funds Awarded to Center of Workforce Innovations
- The Michigan City News Dispatch: $677,000 goes to La Porte County Innovation Network